Perhaps you’re still enjoying time off somewhere fabulous … like a gorgeous beach, soaking up some brilliant sunshine and enjoying the sand between your toes … or maybe like me, you’ve been struggling to overcome those ‘back to work blues’.
So here we are, almost at the end of January. In my world the alarm has been sounding early in the morning, the roads are starting to get more crowded, and the chairs in the office have slowly been filling as everyone returns from their summer holidays …
It always takes me some time to get back into the swing of a new working year. At first I feel caught in some kind of strange limbo – missing the holiday that has just ended, and still not quite ready to face the busy year ahead. But I figure it’s probably a situation familiar to most people. To help me on my way towards full productivity, I thought I’d reflect on some of the great things about being back at work … (trust me, there ARE some).
Leaving aside the obvious and pretty major benefit of earning some more money, I’ve come up with five other pretty great things about being in the office:
- Air-conditioning: While I don’t like sleeping with the air-conditioning on at night (it’s all fresh air for me thanks), there’s nothing quite like the icy pleasure of daytime air-conditioning. Given that my office air-con is so freezing cold, I have the added benefit of being able to wear cardigans all year round.
- No online shopping: I do grumble about this when I’m living it, but when I think about it objectively it’s actually a great thing that I can’t access online shopping at work … right now my poor budget is still trying to fully recover from my Christmas spending.
- Real coffee: Plunger coffee is lovely at home, but there are some days when I need the ‘real’ espresso experience. It’s so luxurious to be back in the CBD, where real coffee can be found pretty much everywhere … as for ‘good’ coffee, well that’s a little harder to come by.
- Cake time: Spontaneous morning and afternoon teas are to be encouraged, and there’s nothing like a random grouping of people in an office to ensure cake is consumed as often as possible. Birthdays, welcoming new staff, farewelling old staff, end of year celebrations … you name the occasion, there’s a pretty good chance it will involve the goodness of cake!
- Drinking water: When I’m at work I have no trouble remembering to drink lots of water – refilling my glass is a good excuse to stretch my legs or just take a bit of a break. At home I tend to forget about re-hydrating throughout the day, and that’s never a good thing … so YAY for office access to cold filtered water.
Haha, I notice that three of my return-to-work benefits relate directly to food and drink … that says so much really! How about you? Do you have any trade secrets you’d be willing to share? … I’d love to add to my own list.