I’m slowly struggling my way back to healthiness this week after being struck down with some mystery illness (I specialise in those). I figure there may be some other poor souls who have also been waging war against similarly unhealthy and unwelcome visitors, and would therefore be in need of some cheer.
‘Under the weather’ is a pretty weird expression isn’t it? In doing some digging about where it came from, I found reference to a nautical origin – but found two different explanations. The first is that ‘when a sailor became ill he was confined below deck out of the weather, so it was said he was under the weather’. The second explanation is ‘if a crewman is standing watch on the weather side of the bow, he will be subject to the constant beating of the sea and the ocean spray. He will therefore be under the weather’. So which is it I wonder? I kind of like both explanations … How about you? Maybe you actually know the origin of ‘under the weather’? (If so, please share)
Anyway, with a little help from these madeit friends, you’ll be out from ‘under the weather’ and ready to get ‘three sheets to the wind’ before you know it!
Top Row (left to right):
- Get Well Soon Bandaid Card, $4.50 by Cathquilts (because it’s always nice to receive some healthy wishes).
- Mushroom Field Sleep Eye Mask, $10 by odds n blobs (to block out the light during those all important day-time naps).
- Melways Soap – Lemon Myrtle, $6 by loopi for you (refresh the skin and the mind with lovely citrus).
Bottom Row (left to right):
- Designer Cushion, $30 by ascoozamii (a bright and comfy place to lay your head while watching midday movies).
- Immune Boost Tea, $13 by Natural Tease (give your immunity all the help it can get, and tea fixes everything after all).
- Oscar Wilde Porcelain Tea Cup and Saucer, $14 by Zinnia Pea (some words from a master to sweeten your brew).
Onwards towards good health once more, my friends!