Munching on some grindage (an adventure in homemade granola)

Do you like to start the day with a big breakfast? Personally, unless it’s combined with going out and socialising, I’m not really one for a proper sit-down breakfast. It tends to be an ‘active’ meal for me, so whatever I eat has to work around everything else I’m trying to do at the same time. So that means it has to be easy to prepare and not take too long to eat. The only essential which each and every one of my mornings MUST contain is a cup of strong, hot coffee.

So after telling you all that, you may be wondering why I would then decide to make granola? Well my lovely friend ‘lucent imagery‘ set us both a challenge to make our own version of granola before the end of the month … and so here we are.

The inspiration for my granola recipe

I don’t know about you, but whenever I think about granola, two things quickly come to mind. The first is an image of a rustic cabin deep in a forest – it’s early morning, the wood pile has been neatly stacked with freshly chopped timber, there is smoke happily tumbling out from the cabin’s chimney, and two bowls of toasted muesli sit waiting on an old wooden table. I guess in my mind, people that live a self-sufficient life in the woods would need a substantial breakfast.

The second thing I think of is a line from the (pretty awful) Pauly Shore ‘Son in Law’ movie, where his character says something like ‘I’m gonna munch on some grindage’. With its chewy texture and healthy reputation, I’ve always thought that granola equals ‘grindage’.

Post-mixed, pre-baked granola

Anyway, in case you’d like to join in with my homemade granola adventure, here is my sugar-free recipe (modified from the ‘Breakfast, Lunch, Tea’ Rose Bakery cook book):
* 150g mixed muesli bits (whatever you like – I hate dried fruit so included a mix of rolled oats, sesame seeds, almonds, barley flakes, pepitas, rice flakes and sunflower seeds)
* 50g shredded / flaked coconut
* 60ml cloudy apple juice
* 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil

1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C.
  2. Mix the ingredients in a bowl, spread out on a baking tray and pop into the oven.
  3. Stir every 7 minutes or so to help everything toast evenly.
  4. Bake for approximately 30 minutes (depending on how toasty you like things to get).

The end result ... crunchy and delicious!!

I served mine with a few spoons of vanilla bean ‘five:am’ yoghurt and some sliced green apple … delicious! I know I’ll be back to my quick breakfasts again next week, but every once in a while it’s nice to slow down and imagine yourself sitting at an old wooden table in a rustic old cabin. Perhaps I’ll see you there?

PS. Be sure to pop over to lucent imagery and see her granola magnificence too. Oh, and if you’re interested in joining in with our next monthly food-related challenge, let me know and I can email you the details.

27 Comments

1. Rol

I did go on a big granola kick last year, but Louise kept telling me it was fattening. (Then again, I wasn’t making my own.) Back to boring old porridge instead.

Strangely, much as I love my coffee, I rarely drink it for breakfast – mostly I have green tea as my first drink of the day and save my coffee fix for later.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Rol – Ah yes, I do believe a lot of pre-made granolas are full of sugar and fat … but still, porridge is one of my favourite breakfasts (though I can never resist adding brown sugar or syrup for a sweet kick).

I just don’t function before coffee in the morning, though I do find I’m drinking more and more tea lately.

2. Felicity

Scrummy!
    I’ve only ever made the super delicious but oh so naughty chocolate and peanut version from our friend Nigella { http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/andys-fairfield-granola-138 } but am thinking that I need to give this one a whirl over the school holidays.

I liked the idea of Lucent Imagery to have it with figs & almond milk but the crunchy apple looks delish.

How fabulous does the house smell when you make this?
    It might be a genius idea to get teens out of bed in the cooler months….first in best dressed!

Happy weekend,
    Felicity x

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Felicity – Oh yum! I’m loving the sound of that Nigella granola recipe … that sounds just like something I’d enjoy.

You’re so right about the wonderful fragrance that wafts through the house, it’s beautiful indeed … haha, and yes perhaps a good tactic for enticing a teenager from slumber. :)

3. Gabrielle Bryden

Not my cuppa tea 😉 – I do the quick as possible brekky thing and force myself to eat as I am never hungry in the morning (except on holidays when the food is irresistable) – I guess if I had my own gourmet chef I would be hungry in the mornings – haha – I have to have a coffee though (it’s what gets me out of bed – my coffee addiction).

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Gabrielle – Yep, like you my breakfast needs to generally be quick and easy to both grab and eat. I’m always hungry in the morning, but just never really feel like eating until later on … haha, but yes a personal chef would be nice!

PS. Yep, I’m the same as you with my coffee requirements! :)

4. Selma

I have toast first thing in the morning and some kind of cereal extravaganza around 11AM. I’ve done it for years. I am a big fan of granola. Yours looks delish. Back in the 80s I used to buy a pre-made Granola that seriously was to die for. I think it might have been made by Sanitarium. You can’t get it anymore but I loved it. It gave me so much energy I was buncing around all day. Gotta love those grains!

1. Selma

I ‘bounced’ too. See, without my granola I can’t spell properly 😆

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Selma – I do enjoy a nice slice or two of toast … especially when it’s of a raisin variety and is spread with lots of butter! :)

I think one of the downsides to granola is the amount of dedicated chewing time it requires … or perhaps I just get bored too easily! 😉

The pre-made granola you used to buy sounds great … what a shame you can’t get it any more.

5. Monica

one of my favourite things is a sloooow and late, weekend breakfast.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Monica – Weekend breakfasts are definitely the best when they take their time and when they happen late in the day … I do enjoy my sleep-ins! :)

6. Teresa

I know what you mean about not being a big sit down breakfast person. Apart from overly large cups of tea the most I can usually muster up is vegemite on toast!

Although, I do sometimes try to be better at breakfast and granola (or grindage… love that word!) with yoghurt is super yummy. (It’s always so hard to find the museli without the icky dried fruit isn’t it?!)

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Teresa – Yum, yum, yum! Vegemite toast is a great way to start the day … and I also indulge in it at other times when I’m in need of some comfort food. And yes, it’s definitely hard to find granola without dried fruit (seriously, why must they put that in everything … yuck!). :)

7. bobbi

Oh God, every time I’m hungry I see food on every blog I visit! My karma hates me.
    I have never made granola. I make pizza. All the time. And it’s good. And please, I have to have at least twenty minutes for my breakfast or I’ll be in a bad mood all day. I must listen to the radio, sip my tea calmly…fight with the furry bandits to dip my cookie in the cup safely…they love cookies and they act like if I don’t give any to them they’ll certainly die. Such actors, my cats.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Bobbi – Haha, don’t you hate that? The same happens to me, whenever I’m craving chocolate I’ll see pictures of it everywhere! :)

I bet your pizzas are delicious … we used to make our own all the time, but kind of got out of the habit. Nothing beats a freshly made pizza for dinner though.

I like that you take time out for your breakfast … haha, but it sounds like those furry bandits of yours keep you on your toes (cats seem to be the ultimate masters of drama). :)

8. Sara

oooh i lurve toasted muesli! must try this, I have been wondering how to make it as healthy as posible. I recently bought the untoasted variety and it just sits in my cupboard waiting to be noticed each morning while I opt for a banana or a coffee or toast instead.
    And i agree, dried fruit in muesli is pretty gross. it’s never good dried fruit either. best to make your own blend, I think you’re onto something here!
    My mum makes a delish bircher blend too, have you tried that style?

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Sara – I can highly recommend this recipe … and it was super easy to make. I’m the same with untoasted muesli, I always have the best intentions, but never quite get around to eating it.

I have indeed tried bircher muesli, and when it’s good … it’s so very, very good. It’s a wonderful summer breakfast! :)

9. Sandrine

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing Tracey:) I am always trying to improve my poor tendency to GF toast and coffee in the morning (not good for sustaining good energy level!!)
    PS: Thanks for all your comments on the blog but sorry I still have not find a good way to reply to you as no email address is linked with them.
    Happy Sunday! x

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Sandrine – You’re very welcome … it can be really hard to find a breakfast that not only fills you up and gives you lots of energy.

No worries regarding my comments … how odd that my email address doesn’t link – just one of those little internet quirks! :)

10. Kylie

I love that you and Lucent Imagery did this together – I read your blog posts one after the other, and their connectedness made me feel happy – I could just picture you each in your separate kitchens, going through the same processes and thinking of each other :) It’s good when friends can do things like that. And you both ended up with delicious looking granola!!

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Kylie – It was fun to do this activity together, yet at the same time approach it in different ways. :)

And what a happy bonus it is to result in a tasty breakfast too. I’m so glad you enjoyed the shared process.

11. belinda/gretchenmist

i love muesli and cereals! and of course coffee. this looks great :)
    thanks for your sweet comment.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Belinda – Haha, yes indeed … we do share a healthy love of coffee (what would we do without it?). It’s always lovely to see you here. :)

12. Hila

I’m usually a fan of fatty breakfasts (pancakes, bacon and eggs, french toast, etc.), but this actually looks quite yummy!

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Hila – Oh yes, I love fatty breakfasts too … especially when they’re eaten late in the morning … just delicious and satisfying! :)

13. Camila Faria

I love a little granola in the morning, but I never made my own! How exciting! I have to try it someday.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Camila – You’re so good to start the day with a proper breakfast … you’ll definitely have to try and make your own granola, and see how it compares to your favourite blend. :)