Going as mad as a hatter (or a March Hare) …

I don’t know about you, but I’m really glad the end of the working week is almost here. Of late, the weekdays have been feeling longer than ever, and the hours within them full to the brim with (too many) things to be done.

The way I see it, there are two ways to play out this situation – you could calmly address each task in turn, slowly making your way through your ever-growing list, or … you could just go right ahead and give in to a little of the madness. Because the first option isn’t always the best option for one’s long-term sanity, at the moment I’m tending towards the latter.

And so I turn to Baxter the dog to visually summarise my week so far … At first, things appear calm, everything is proceeding as expected, and there isn’t any sense of chaos waiting around the corner …

… But then, BAM! Just like that, your world goes *crazy* … that to-do list you’ve been so patiently working through suddenly explodes and you’re not quite sure how you’ll ever find the focus to achieve anything. On such days when everything threatens to overwhelm, when you’ve drunk as much coffee as you can stomach, and even the smallest of tasks feels insurmountable, I honestly think it’s best to just give in to the madness … at least for a while.

Eventually the chaos will pass, and things will calm down once more. With any luck you’ll find yourself feeling reinvigorated by that brief indulgence in madness.

Apart from pondering thatΒ well-known saying, ‘the older you get, the faster time goes’ … I’m wondering whether I’m the only one suffering from a case of ‘March Madness’? Has the third month of the year begun atΒ a frantic pace for you too?

32 Comments

1. Kylie

I think you know the answer to that…. πŸ˜›

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Kylie – Shall we pretend that the coming week will be at least a little calmer? πŸ˜‰

1. Kylie

Yes, let’s!

I actually ended up having a really awesome and relaxing weekend. Of course, we completely neglected the housework – but I’m strangely ok with that for the timebeing!

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Kylie – I think you’re going to need another one of those relaxing weekends after the week you’re having … be sure to look after yourself! :)

2. jan

March and September are always insane for me. It’s like we’re all a bunch of worker bees getting ready for the change in seasons.
    Playing with my dogs is the only answer to my insanity. They just live for the moment.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Jan – I often find those ‘change of season’ months to be very strange indeed. There’s probably some scientific explanation to that crazy kind of feeling we experience, but I certainly don’t remember it from my studies …

Playing with your dogs sounds like a wonderful way to work through the insanity. It’s an option I often choose myself.

3. Erika Lee Sears

I still can’t believe it’s march! almost summer time here :)

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Erika – I can’t believe it’s March either … just where have the last few months disappeared to? It’s just become autumn here, and I’m very grateful to have some lower temperatures the last few days … it makes a pleasant change from the heat and humidity.

4. Katie Yang

I’m praying for more madness in March, I had enough of Flat February! :) Hope you keep your sanity, though!

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Katie – Oh wow, you’ve had the opposite start to the year than me. In that case I wish for you lots of madness and crazy times on your horizon! :)

I’m feeling much better about the pace of life after a relaxing weekend … so that’s got to be a good way to start the working week.

5. Design Elements

March madness :-)

Hi Design Elements – There’s definitely a bit of that going around! πŸ˜‰

6. hila

I know exactly how you feel, my “to do” list is spanning a few pages in my notebook, which is ridiculous really.

I need an assistant! Maybe I could pay someone in coffee.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Hila – It’s been a crazy start to the year for sure! I’ve never felt so defeated by my to-do list before … and given that yours is running at several pages long, it sounds like you know the feeling well too.

An assistant would be fantastic!!
      Haha … hey if you’re paying someone in coffee, I’d sign up for the job! πŸ˜‰

7. bobbi

I feel exactly the way as you feel. When I am home I run around like crazy because I have to do the laundry, mop the floor, dust the shelves and bla bla bla. Then I am at the shop and I’ll have to clean the windows, the floor, and sew, and draw. Then there is the supermarket, the bank, the lawyer and I don’t know what else. In all these, everytime I look around I see nine pairs of sleepy eys that from the sofa look at me like saying ‘stop doing that and join us, you stupid human’.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Bobbi – It’s that manic rushing about from one thing to the next that takes it’s toll for sure. It sounds like you’ve got the very same thing going on in your world too. There’s always something to be done, and never enough time to do it all.

I think we all need a little extra help just to make it through the day at the moment. Sometimes it feels like it’s hard work to just keep our heads above water … it would be nice to get back to that calm feeling of floating on the surface once more. I seem to remember a time when that was possible … :)

Your cats must wonder why you keep yourself so busy … after all, I’m pretty sure they’d think your sole purpose in being is to ‘serve’ them and their needs! πŸ˜‰

8. Gabrielle Bryden

There is definitely something strange in the air (and time is going way to fast) at the moment. Indulging in a spot of madness never goes astray :)

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Gabrielle – Here’s hoping the rest of the month isn’t as crazy (at least from a time perspective). I know one thing I’ve been appreciating is the cool change we’ve had the last couple of days … autumn is a wonderful season.

I hope you’re feeling a little better after a restful weekend.
      xx

9. Mel

Hello, stranger! My absence from your blog lately has definitely been due to some of that chaos and madness, some of it good, some of it less so! It’s good to be back and to catch up a bit with you. Really hoping I’m coming through the madness now and can settle down to my regular routines again….

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Mel – Hello there! Oh gosh, there’s so much of that madness going around at the moment … I completely understand. That same busy-ness has kept me from staying up to date with some of my favourite blogs too.

I’m hoping to settle back into some level of normalcy soon too … fingers crossed that happens for us both! :)

10. gracia

From calm to BAM! Yep, Baxter sums it up perfectly. (And he is very handsome too. These photos make me long for a dog. Hmmm.)

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Gracia – Yes, it’s that ‘all or nothing’ pace of life I think that has been the current rule of thumb, and it’s that ‘all’ element that has been winning the battle so far.

I’m glad you like Baxter, I think he’s rather handsome too (although I am biased).
      Dogs are wonderful creatures – cats and dogs truly make the most fantastic of animal companions. You should definitely find yourself a canine friend.
      xx

11. lenore*

indeed-indeed!
    cute illustration via your Baxter~*
    I can always use a longer weekend to zone out from the madness!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend Tracey!

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Lenore – I’m glad you liked by visual summary of current events via my sweet dog Baxter … that poor dog must think I’m quite mad for chasing him about the house with a camera! πŸ˜‰

A longer weekend should always be necessary … there’s too much madness we all need to escape from!
      My Sunday night is travelling wonderfully well, thanks so much. I hope your weekend has been wonderful too Lenore.
      xx

12. sandrine

Oh you made me laugh Tracey :) What a funny Baxter caught in madness :)
    I hope you see the end of the madness oh at least for your weekend!
    Surprisingly it is madness here too! We are house hunting trying to decide where to relocate needing to be closer to hubby’s work!!THis is pure madness too :)
    Maybe M for March and Madness LOL Better remember and plan for next year !
    Have a great week :)

PS:Thanks for your comment about the quilt, I may try to think about your comment when I go through a lengthy project again! :)

Sandrine x

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Sandrine – I’m very glad to bring some laughter your way! :)
      It was lucky of me to be able to capture Baxter in mid-madness (though admittedly, I think he succumbs to the joy of madness a little more regularly than I do). πŸ˜‰

The weekend was a lot less mad for once, now I just need to get the other five days sorted and I’ll be right! πŸ˜‰
      Gosh, it certainly does sound busy in your world too … house hunting is always a stressful and challenging time (I hope you find the perfect place, or at least make a decision of what area to relocate to). Perhaps you’re right – M is for March AND madness as you suggest … there is certainly plenty of it going around at the moment. I’ll definitely be noting this down in the diary for next year so I can be better prepared and hopefully stay a little saner! πŸ˜‰

I’m glad you liked my thoughts on your quilt (it’s a beautiful quilt for sure). xx

13. Krystal/Village

I’m not sure how it is that I have a CONSTANT to do list. It drives me crazy. I wonder what it feels like to have everything done??

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Krystal – I know what you mean about that dreaded to do list never getting itself under control. I just don’t remember a time in my life when things have been THIS busy … I hope things don’t get even busier as the years go by!

I think it would be an amazing feeling to one day get everything crossed off our lists … though I’m not sure whether that will happen for either of us for quite some time. Best of luck with it! :)

14. gracia

Must tear self away from RSPCA site. I keep looking at dogs up for adoption. There is a senior I have my eye on. Now, what will the dear cats think about that, I wonder.

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Gracia – Oh yes, that RSPCA site is SO dangerous! I’ve found myself searching through those pages many times myself (looking for a canine or feline companion for Baxter). It’s so very hard to resist those beautiful faces (especially the lovely older ones). I’m not sure whether to hope you were able to resist growing your furry family … I’m sure your beautiful cats wouldn’t mind a new friend … or is that just wishful thinking? πŸ˜‰

15. ejorpin

Gorgeous photos as always and no – clearly it’s not just you, or me. There seems to be a bad case of March madness going about…

1. tracey (Post author)

Hi Emily – I’m glad you liked my photos, Baxter can be a tricky dog to get decent photos of … he always seems to move or look away at the wrong moment.

I suppose the only comfort we can take is that at least we aren’t alone in all this March madness … perhaps we can look forward to a quieter, calmer April? :)

(fingers crossed)